Surf Reston was founded in 2012 by Chris Higgins and his wife Colleen. Long-time surfers and water sport enthusiasts, the Higgins relocated from a beach community to Reston, Virginia and began enjoying stand-up paddle boarding on Lake Audubon. In 2012, the couple realized that there needed to be a resource available to help those interested in exploring the sport to learn with a focus on safety, technique and fun.
In 2013, Chris and Colleen relocated to Colorado where they continue be an integral part of the Stand Up Paddleboard community. They have turned over operations to Steve Gurney, a long-time Reston resident and a Level 2 Instructor with the American Canoe Association (ACA) & the Academy of SUP Instructors. 2016 marks the third year of operations for Surf Reston.
Surf Reston instructors are certified by the American Canoe Association (ACA) and the World Paddle Association (WPA). Surf Reston believes in the principles of the ACA which include:
- Provide the general public with FUN paddlesport opportunities
- Make paddling education and instruction accessible
- Improve access to all paddling venues
- Expand paddlesport to people of all abilities and to the underserved
- Influence stewardship issues and public policy that affect paddlers and the paddling experience
- Promote paddlesports competition
- Communicate the benefits of paddlesports as healthy lifetime recreation activities